Sunday, October 19, 2008

Racism Warps the Political Process

I am sure that racism in the United States has a different meaning to me than for 90% of all Americans, both black and white. As a 73-year-old African American, I look in retrospect at the numerous times I was got past the narrow gates of racial bias because I could prove my worth. While it is impossible to ignore the incidences of prejudice in our society, especially in the job market, my personal view is that racism always has an attachment to individual insecurity and irrationality.

Let me explain that statement, briefly. The only way I was able to drive my 1964 LeMans 800 miles from Chicago to New York City in search of a job at the age of 25 is that I knew I could be recognized as a contributor ( as opposed to a dependent) if I played my cards right. My parents taught me how to envision that image, regardless of rampant social moirĂ©s. Their values have sustained me through a series of challenges and achievements, some of which are described in my new novel, “Stock Power”.

Today, 45 years since I tested the lines of resistance to color in this country, America has responded to an extraordinary demonstration of confidence and panache in the Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama. It is obvious to me that the reason for this phenomenon is the unprecedented contribution Senator Obama has made to the Democratic campaign. Although I am no political expert, Senator Obama is probably the most natural answer to the division in a tottering administration.

The Devil We Know Versus the Devil We Don’t Know

American voters owe it to themselves to be circumspect about their adulation for either presidential candidate. I don’t see a clear passing grade for either opponent. It is unfortunate that the stakes are as high as they are where the ultimate executive position in this country is concerned. The global financial crisis is an additional albatross to the campaigns on both sides; but incidents of hate and prejudice, regardless of how isolated or private they might be, will warp the minds of voters and skew the political process.

If you look past the rhetoric and myopia in this country and try to assess the prowess of each candidate, the rational solution might be revealed. Critical questions have yet to be answered; yet, given the challenges that lie ahead, I believe the junior but more capable candidate should be the next President of the United States. That would be Senator Barack Obama.

Let us all be hopeful.

Hudster

No comments: