Thursday, May 10, 2007

O.J. Simpson The Perennial Enigma

The O.J. Simpson story is a volcanic nemesis to society as evidenced in the recent report about a restaurateur in Louisville, Kentucky who refused to serve him. I had no interest in voting with my opinion of whether or not he was treated fairly on the AOL poll, except that I was somewhat curious about the public’s reaction to the story. To my amazement, I found a blaze of racist comments that I suspect was instigated by Mr. Simpson’s lawyer’s attitude toward the restaurant owner.

I was suddenly reminded that we can count on blatant ignorance and bias to erupt from the simplest of incidents in the United States of America. What’s more amazing is how our social system manages to thrive in a so-called free world. It’s worth pondering. Here now is a copy of my response to the variety of horrible counter-communal expressions elicited by the story.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I've eaten in some of Louisville's finest restaurants and it was strictly because I wanted a particular menu - not because I'm a wannabe anything. I'm African American, by the way.

In 1970 I opened the doors to my first business in midtown Manhattan with a partner who needs not be characterized by his race. He was gentleman with a lot of respect for my skills. Together, we promoted our tiny business until we began to attract some of largest advertisers in the world, from here to Osaka. I hope everyone knows where that is.

I also remember flying to St. Louis to the headquarters of America's most prominent beer manufacturer. I was invited out after several phone conversations leading up to the invitation. Yes, when I arrived with my partner, there was a definite element of surprise registered on the faces of some of the brands managers who attended our meeting. We're in 1972 now, so stay with me.

This company gave us a complete tour of the production plant for one of it's brands where I learned at least a semester's worth of knowledge about cost control. My partner and I returned to our office in on west 45th Street in New York without a contract but with a lot more knowledge about how the big guns make money. We turned in one of our best years in '72.

Some of you need to know (perhaps) that I lost a handful of bids because I was black. It didn't mean I had to be ignorant and start marching on Madison Avenue for my equal rights.

I was not refused service ever in some of the finer restaurants although at times I was treated rudely. If I felt it would make a difference, I brought the issue to management's attention, not the newspapers.

I don't like attorney's who prey upon the emotions of the public. There's only one obvious reason for this story to cause such a stir. It happens to be........ready?.......ignorance!

I don't remember seeing 'buckwheat' on TV. I'm sure I did. My parents helped me to chalk up that kind imagery to being a fault in our society at the time. Because of them, I have built two businesses and am currently in the process of creating the third. I'm going to make a comment now that all of you can accept or dismiss. Seven out of eight total investors in my new venture are not African American.

Get up off [your knees] and stop mopping floors with antiquated ideas. You're hurting the wrong person. God help us all!

BH




2 comments:

Stephen C. Rose said...

I remember one interesting evening in Nashville in the summer of '61 which was a summer in which a lot of change was trying to occur. I was working there in a very minor way to see what could be done. Joe Carter and I decided we would "integrate" the local Holiday Inn and we dressed as formal as we could and went up there and took seats in the corner of the dining room. As I recall it was pretty simple. In fact that summer the worst that happened was getting tapped on the arm by a hostile octegenarian while picketing H. G. Hills and having some dried egg on the dashboard of my second hand Chevy station wagon. Life goes on.

Equityhawk said...

xx